Living With Designer Genes

Raising a child with special needs isn't easy, but neither is raising a typical one.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Disc Oh!

I am working with several families this summer which I love. I provide educational consulting and advocacy, IEP/504 development and review, and dyslexia therapy for children with reading or other disabilities.  I began using these balance discs a few years ago with children and I have found them to really increase attention and availability for learning for the children with whom I work.  The balance discs provide movement for children who like to squirm in their seats and they also help kids who tend to zone out, to instead stay alert  They are epecially good for children with all types of ADHD, weak trunk strength, slumpers, or learning or attention issues. Sitting on balance discs helps children understand their space when boundaries are an issue. I have recommended them to some parents who are now using them in their homes with success at the dinner table, for bible studies, when crafting, when doing homework, or a myriad of other activities.  I think I got these discs at TJ MAXX for about 10 bucks a piece, but now Wal-Mart is carrying them as well in their fitness section. I love working with kids, especially those who learn differently or who have unfair obstacles to overcome, and I love finding things that help to make their lives easier.  I put no limitations on what children can achieve, no matter their diagnosis or its severity.  If when I die, I have spent all the days of my life helping another to live a better life, then my days have have been well spent. 

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to you for doing this work with IEP's! I go to them for Aidan for different reasons and still its the blanket A Typical form they give all children in his situation. I most definitely bring things to the table on it but still I feel I get whitewashed so to speak by the schools. ugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, Let me know if I can ever help you in any way. It would be my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I had no idea you could get them so reasonably and I bet they would fit perfectly on the buckets I use for chairs. The buckets themselves somehow seem to have some magical balancing powers, so I can't wait to combine the two. Thanks for the heads up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they make a full body one? That child needs to learn to stay on her side of the bed and quit hogging mine! Since you know my girls, is that something that would be helpful at home when it is time for them to do their work or are they pretty good without?

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would help them. You could borrow one from me and see if it makes a difference, if you would like. Love your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use these - in fact, for sensory issues with DD feet, she often puts it on the floor and rubs the nubs with her toes! Take a few of them, and have your student do a mini obstacle course during homework breaks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will have to give it a try. Saw some of them at Walmart the other day and mentioned them to Alan.

    ReplyDelete